Monday 22 July 2013

Checkmate

From Louis Vuitton's structural and ladylike approach to the trend to Asos' punk revival style kilt, checks (including plaid) are the pattern of choice for this summer. Be it large or small, geometric or horizontal, Jacobs or Ebay, the trend can be injected into the wardrobe of anyone of any age with the use of a mere silk scarf or pencil skirt. I myself have challenged the trend by purchasing a Vuitton-esque Zara jacket (see below) and digging out a tartan skirt from a lifetime ago. Today, after shamelessly visiting the cinema to watch 'Monster's University' where coincidentally I was taught the life lesson of being fearless, I visited Topshop and was exposed to the trend full frontally with an array of leggings and tops cloaked in the pattern; following this I decided to Google the term 'check.'  The word check is apparently derived from a Persian word meaning 'king,' and this, alongside my newly found enthusiasm brought about by Pixar's film, has made me feel that as subtle as checks can be, this trend should be worn boldly, gallantly and confidently. Marni here I come.


  My top high street picks for challenging the trend:

Midi Kilt- Asos/ Check Print Skirt- Zara
Check Crop Top- TheShirtGirl/ Checkered Jacquard Blazer- Zara
Wide Leg Trousers- Asos/ Monochrome Check Print Shirt- Topshop

1 comment: